We all want websites that are search-engine friendly. But sometimes when you are busy it’s easy to publish a new blog post and be off to the next thing on your to do list.
Over time, this can really hurt your SEO efforts. That’s why I’ve put together this short hit list of things you can do to boost your WordPress SEO.
Schedule these tasks in your calendar to make your blog traffic soar!
1) Post New Stuff Regularly
Google has a bias towards fresh content. Part of Google’s algorithm looks at how new the content is and gives preference to more recent results. So publishing original content on a regular basis is important.
Also size matters when it comes to content. Generally longer content ranks higher than shorter content. So strive to make your post at least 500 words.
2) Create a Keywords List
If SEO is a priority, then you’ll want to develop a keyword list. This is basically a list of keywords and phrases that describes your products and services. These keywords should include words from search terms that are more likely to be used to find your offerings online.
Google has some incredible tools to make keyword research easy including Google Search, Google Suggest, Google Instant and Google Wonder Wheel.
Hint: if you want a really targeted keyword list, hire an SEO expert!
3) Install an SEO Plugin
This will allow you to set keyword-rich custom titles and Meta descriptions for your posts for search engines.
A couple of popular SEO plug-ins to consider are All in One SEO Pack and WordPress SEO by Yoast.
Again, this is something your web designer or an SEO professional can easily install for you.
4) Hand Submit to Search Engines
What good is a site if no one can find it? That’s why getting listed in Google and the other popular search engines and directories is one of the most effective ways of getting free targeted traffic to your website.
You have probably seen lots of automated submission services where you pay a small fee for them to submit your site to hundreds of search engines. These services not only won’t help – they can actually hurt you.
Almost all of these free directories never send an actual visitor to your website and getting links from them can hurt your ability to rank in the real search engines like Google and Bing.
The best practice is to manually submit your site to search engines yourself. WordPress makes this easy once you set up an account in Google, Bing and Yandex Webmaster Tools.
If unsure, just ask your webmaster or SEO Specialist to set up these accounts.
5) Add Tags to your Posts
WordPress, straight out of the box, comes ready to embrace search engines. The tags features is one of those SEO friendly features you should take advantage of.
Be sure to add relevant keyword-rich tags to every post you publish.
6) Leave Comments on Other Blogs
Start linking more to other people’s posts on their blogs and encourage them to link back to you.
One search engine factor that Google considers is backlinking. A website that has more backlinks is considered more of an authority site and gets higher rankings.
7) Block Spam Comments
When people leave comments on your blog, it counts as content to Google. So if you have a website about DIY crafts and someone leaves 5 comments about “cheap enhancement pills’ that ruins your keyword relevancy and hurts your rankings.
So blocking spam comments from posting to your blog will improve your SEO – as well as make your real blog readers happy.
8) Internal Linking
One easy way to get more traffic is to add internal links to your blog posts.
For example if you have an article on Overcoming Your Resistance to Blog Writing, then at the bottom of that article you can post links to “Other Related Articles You May Enjoy”: 4 Content Marketing Trends for Business Owners in 2017 and other related articles. WordPress SEO by Yoast does this automatically for you as you can see at the bottom of this post.
9) Use Image Alt Tags
For each image you use in your post, ensure you add the Alt tag to help them rank better in image searches. This is another excellent place to put relevant keywords.
Google has an image search function that works in pretty much the exact same way as the webpage search with keywords and relevance. So adding Alt tags helps Google find and include your images when someone does an image search.
10) Tweak Blog Post Titles
If you quickly wrote titles to your blog posts before, take time to review them first before publishing.
Your blog post titles are vitally important to your SEO rankings so compare the keywords used to your keyword list and make your blog titles more keyword rich.
11) Add Social Media Sharing Buttons
When Google sees a blog article is getting a lot of posts and shares on social media, it boosts the ranking of that blog post.
So making it easy for readers to share your posts helps others Tweet and share your great content!
12) Update Your Theme
Not all WordPress themes are SEO Friendly and the free WordPress themes may be hurting your search engine rankings because of this.
Having a premium WordPress theme ensures your content will be indexed by the search engines, since the developers have taken special time to optimize every aspect in terms of both security and SEO.
It’s smart to make sure your theme programming isn’t bloated with inefficient code that slows down page load times. We find this a lot with purchased themes and that’s why we only provide custom designed and built WordPress themes for our clients.
When it comes to reaching your business goals, finding the right people for the company is one of the most important factors that greatly affects the success of your business. However, it has also been one of the most difficult undertakings many business owners struggle with. It is a good thing that the challenge has become acute these past few years due to hyper-competition in the global business area.
Organizations are facing an increasing demand to move and innovate at an unprecedented speed. Moreover, employees are now looking beyond salary and position when choosing a job, so traditional talent attraction and recruitment strategies may not be as effective anymore. It is thus important for companies to review their talent recruitment strategy and see if it still suits their current requirements and can address ongoing changes in the job market.
One of the reliable recruitment agencies that has the right experience shares some tips in hiring the right people for the job. First, you must align your recruitment strategy with your overall corporate strategy. The positions you want to fill, the number of people you want to recruit, the quality of talent you are looking to engage and the content of your offers should be based on specific and clearly defined business goals.
Secondly, ensure a well-organized process or system. Just like in your other business processes, establishing SOPs for your recruitment process is crucial. Following a system and obtaining the guidance of top job consultants will help the business avoid costly recruiting mistakes. Hiring the wrong person is one of the costliest and time-consuming mistakes a company can make. A well-ordered and structured recruitment process also puts an emphasis on the professionalism of your organization.
Additionally, working with the experts is a smart move. This is not a time to cast your recruiting net randomly into the talent pool. You need a focused, systematic route that will allow you to reach out to the most qualified candidates for your needs. This can only be possible with the help of leading head-hunters, who will have the network and resources to match you with the most suitable people to include in your team, within the budget and timeline you have specified. Remember that effective recruitment is not a one-time project, but rather, an ongoing task.
We’ve all heard of it. But we all think that we’re invincible to it. Identity Theft!
What is it? It refers to the preparatory stage of acquiring and collecting someone else’s personal information for criminal purposes.
Identity theft techniques can range from unsophisticated, such as dumpster diving and mail theft, to more elaborate schemes.
If your identity is stolen, do you have a plan in place to mitigate the damages? If not, you should at least bookmark this, just in case you need it in the future.
Identity thieves are looking for the following information:
• full name
• date of birth
• Social Insurance Numbers
• full address
• mother’s maiden name
• username and password for online services
• driver’s license number
• personal identification numbers (PIN)
• credit card information (numbers, expiry dates and the last three digits printed on the signature panel)
• bank account numbers
• passport number
There are things that you can do to protect yourself from identity theft, and there are steps that you can take to minimize the damage and help bring the thief to justice.
Here are 5 things that you can do right now to protect yourself:
1. Do not sign the back of your credit cards. Instead, put ‘PHOTO ID REQUIRED.’
2. When you are writing checks to pay on your credit card accounts, DO NOT put the complete account number on the ‘For’ line. Instead, just put the last four numbers. The credit card company knows the rest of the number, and anyone who might be handling your cheque as it passes through all the cheque processing channels won’t have access to it.
3. Put your work phone # on your checks instead of your home phone. If you have a PO Box, use that instead of your home address. If you do not have a PO Box, use your work address. Never have your SIN printed on your checks. (DUH!) You can add it if it is necessary. But if you have It printed, anyone can get it.
4. Place the contents of your wallet on a photocopy machine. Do both sides of each license, credit card, etc. You will know what you had in your wallet and all of the account numbers and phone numbers to call and cancel. Keep the photocopy in a safe place.
5. When you travel abroad, carry a photocopy of your passport. We’ve all heard horror stories about fraud that’s committed on us in stealing a Name, address, Social Insurance number, credit cards, etc…
If your identity does get stolen, what kind of things can you expect to have happen?
Here are just some of what they can do:
1. Access your bank accounts
2. Open new bank accounts
3. Transfer bank balances
4. Apply for loans, credit cards
5. Make purchases
6. Buy cell phone packages
7. Credit line approved by retail stores
8. Access your driving record, and change your information online
If you are a victim, here’s some critical information to act on immediately:
1. Cancel your credit cards immediately. But the key is having the toll free numbers and your card numbers handy so you know whom to call. Keep those where you can find them. This is why we photocopy them (see above). Call your local bank/financial institution as well.
2. File a police report immediately in the jurisdiction where your credit cards, etc., were stolen. This proves to credit providers you were diligent, and this is a first step toward an investigation (if there ever is one).
But here’s what is perhaps most important of all:
3. Call the nationwide credit reporting companies immediately. Ask them to put a fraud alert on your name and credit report. The alert means any company that checks your credit knows your information was stolen, and they have to contact you by phone to authorize new credit.
Here are the numbers for two national credit bureaus:
1.) Equifax: 1-800-465-7166
2.) TransUnion Canada: 1-877-525-3823
3. Order free copies of your credit report from each of the nationwide credit reporting companies.
Have you even been a victim of identify theft? Tell us your story and maybe others can learn from what you did, or didn’t do.